Monday 9 July 2012

On the bus

I started the day by doing a first draft of next Sunday's sermon - the too familiar story of the beheading of John the Baptist. Now why lectionary architects couldn't have delayed placing this story for a Sunday in  another six weeks from now, I don't understand. After all the commemoration of John's martyrdom takes place on 29th August, and although it's not a major fiesta in the church calendar, it's a story that deserves to be told and reflected upon, no matter how dark and grisly it is to hear.

At last, I got around to turning up at the nearest bus stop at the right time, and catching a bus to town this morning - an impressive 60c fare (=50p). I got off outside the Archiprestal church, and walked down to the port, where I spent several hours taking pictures and enjoying the environment. It's cloudy today and the temperature is around 28 degrees, with the hint of a breeze - very pleasant for being outdoors in an area where there is little shade. 

Mission accomplished, I bought some food at the Consum supermarket, then caught the bus home from the stop opposite. How convenient - and an opportunity to listen to people in conversation around me, even if the subject was an elderly traveller stranded at one of the bus stops with her luggage, having had her purse stolen. I strained to decipher clues about racist scapegoating of the villain in what two passengers were talking about. It's the same the world over.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment