Wednesday 29 August 2012

Strange swim

Cooler and cloudy is the best way to describe today, an occasion to open all the doors and windows and let fresh air flow through the house from top to bottom. This afternoon I cycled into town, and swam from the beach there. It's only the second time since I've been here. Swimming isn't one of my favoured  activities, but I felt I needed a different kind of exercise today, and the sea here is comfortably warm after months of high air temperatures. 

I swam for a quarter of an hour, and as I did, I kept getting an elusive sensation in my hands and arms as if I was being touched by something in the water. I looked out for little fishes and seaweek, but there was nothing visible. I kept swimming until at last I something passed through my fingers substantial enough to catch hold of. It was a formless blob of clear gelatinous substance - but what was it? A jellyfish or part of a jellyfish? Or some other kind of marine pollution to add to the ubiquitous tiny fragments of plastic bag now choking the world's oceans?

Needless to say, I didn't stay in the sea much longer, but cycled home and cooked a paella for the first time since I've been here, using a new non-stick pan I bought on my way home yesterday. And now, the Paralympics opening ceremony .....
   

No comments:

Post a Comment